FORMATTING A FLASH DISK
Sometimes you might try formatting your flash disk using 'my computer option' where you right click on its drive letter and select format and the process fails. You don't have to worry you can try the DOS way. Be sure to back up your data before you format your flash disk, otherwise you will end up loosing your important data.
- Connect your flash disk to one of the USB ports of your PC.
- Double click on my computer on your desktop.
- Locate the drive letter of your flash disk drive - it will be under the "devices with removable storage".
- After noting down the drive letter of your flash disk e.g. "F", click on start button, then click on run.
- In the dialogue box that appears, type "CMD" of course without the quotes. (That command takes you to DOS screen.)
- While in DOS, type the following command in the DOS prompt:- Format F:
- Press enter and you will get a message "insert new disk for drive F: (If your flash disk is in F) and press ENTER when ready.
- Once you press enter formatting starts which should go to 100%.
- You can input a volume label which is basically the name of your flash disk.
- Or you enter for none meaning you don't give your flash disk a name.
- Now you can start using your flash disk.